Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I miss the golden light today

hello,
I just had a lunch of swiss chard, boiled potatoes with the dill I found with Kathleen, and a fried egg. It tasted good and fine. Earlier I'd gone to a big Giant Eagle for kitty litter. It was sort of an experience, aisles and aisles of food that was not for me. The woman behind me in line had maybe eight boxes of frozen food, and as many yogurts in their little plastic cups. Amid the cornucopia of packaged food there was a small stand with a sign saying Regional Produce. But the produce looked suspiciously perfect and shiny, like all else in the stands.
Maybe it's just me.
For breakfast this morning I had a pancake from a pancake mix I found at the Shaker Square Market. Spelt flour, buckwheat flour, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. It was very good pancake mix, but I'm very thoughtful about the baking powder and soda (felt like i was cheating a little). I do want to look into their origins.
On Tuesday mornings my dog and I drive out to Chesterland for a training class. It's good for us both. We park next to a wonderful field alive with late summer wildflowers, crickets and swooping birds. On a whim on the way home I followed the signs for fresh peaches and vegetables, and found a place that sold alot of local things. I bought maple syrup, a lovely yellow watermelon, some hard pears, and some eggs. I could see the chickens running around next door. So, that made me happy. There were big peanuts from Virginia, and some delicious looking cheddar popcorn that I'll remember for another time.
I guess I'm feeling gently purer, but wanting not to judge the woman behind me at Giant Eagle with all the frozen food. Just thoughtful about her and all of the Giant Eagles of our lives.
I'm missing oranges most of all, lemons and limes, soy sauce and cinnamon. But I'm good. Wishing you all the same. maren

1 comment:

  1. I actually bought a lemon tree this year... put it in a big pot and will bring it in through the winters. In about 3 years, I hope to have some :o)
    I have the same reaction at the grocery store many times... I look at the massive carts of frozen, boxed, and canned items and have a moment of pity for the people who are buying them...who think that it's full of "food"
    I wonder if you can find soy sauce from the same company that makes Cleveland Tofu? I'm not sure if they make it, but it would be worth a look.
    I've been enjoying the Cleveland Tofu very much (Sharon even made some for family dinner Thursday)but I've been using it already for a couple years so it was no big change :o)

    ReplyDelete