Monday, September 6, 2010

good morning,
It does seem as if it's going to be another beautiful day.
Yesterday, I made one of my old recipes for Indian Cake. from Food the Indians Gave Us.
It goes;
4 cups sifted cornmeal, 3 Tablespoons molasses (I used a wonderful honey from Heiden's Honey in Massillon that I found at the Shaker Square Market),2 teaspoons salt, and a rounded tablespoon of shortening (I used butter).
Mix ingredients and add boiling water until mixture is well-moistened. Pour into well-greased baking pan, smooth surface with a spoon and bake in hot oven until well-browned. (I put it in a 400 oven for 40 minutes.I'd probably try a hotter oven if I did it again.).
Well, it's reasonably edible. I toasted some this morning and ate it with butter and the lovely honey.
I did just look up the nutrients in cornmeal, and found an interesting service, Self-nutrition Data. Seems there're a fair amount of calories, alot of starch and a very little bit of vitamins and minerals, with iron, thiamin and magnesium leading the pack.

Yesterday I got to the Market in the middle of a downpour and forgot some things for the week...onions, maple syrup etc. Later, I'm going to see about Whole Foods local offerings.

Sharon, thanks for the thoughtful invitation. At the very least, I do look forward to meeting you at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment