Sunday, August 22, 2010

Exception Question

I would like to pose one more exception to the challenge. Yesterday, I showed my garden sculptures at Dean's greenhouse and nursery in Westlake during their tomato tasting festival. I spoke to a lovely young woman who had a booth with balsamic vinegars and olive oil. She educated me on balsamic vinger. Apparently, it takes years and years of aging and processing balsamic vinegar and all of the "true" balsamic comes from Italy. What do you think of adding vinegar to our "allowed" items? I'm just sayin'.

4 comments:

  1. I am trying to find an Ohio source for vinegar. I called one Ohio winery and left a message to find out if they make their own balsamic vinegar (they sell it as a specialty food item). If they do, I will post their information.
    If I can't find a winery that makes vinegar, I am going to try to make it on my own. The Grape & Granary, in Akron, sells vinegar making supplies and also has instructions on their website www.grapeandgranary.com.
    Here is a link with instructions on making ice-wine vinegar: http://www.ehow.com/how_4797353_ice-wine-vinegar.html.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, just buy a vinegar mother and a 1 gallon glass jar. If you know someone that drinks wine, ask them if you can get a few old bottles. Even better, hit a local winery and ask them if they have something that wasn't quite up to snuff. They may sell it really cheap, and quite a few of them make their own vinegars, too. It doesn't take very long, either.

    This is actually one of my next projects -- brewing for the express reason of making vinegars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info Pete. The place I called yesterday gets their balsalmic vinegar from CA so I will most likely have to make my own. I tried a cinnamon pear balsalmic on Saturday at Dean's Greenhouse tomato festival and it was delicious. I didn't buy it because it wasn't practical for the cost. Experimenting with making vinegar may be interesting... More to come..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll gladly donate to the cause. Lord knows I brew/drink enough.

    ReplyDelete